Saturday, July 23, 2011

I Am...



I have been very busy these past couple of weeks. You see, I am also a full time student, I work full time and I have a wife and three kids. Wheww. I discovered something Monday though that I wanted to share. I am no longer trying to reach some fitness goal. I am not running to get in shape. I am in shape. I am fit. Monday morning I ran for an hour non stop - I have done this again, and previously on a treadmill, but this was the first time had done it outside. Somewhere towards the middle of the second half I realized that I was no longer running as a means to an end - I have achieved something. You are healthy when you can run for an hour, you are fit when you can run for an hour.
I know that there is so much yet to be accomplished and I will not stop working towards my goals. I must remember to stop and be excityed for what I have accomplished. I started just over 6 months ago and I could not run a lick. I started with one-minute intervals and I just ran for an hour. If I can do that, I can do anything. So often I tend to approach a goal and begin to set the next one. Just like I did with this triathlon gig. I am already looking towards the next horizon. But, unless I can learn to live in the moment and appreciate where I am, I will never be happy.
I have discovered that my nipples hurt and burn sometimes when I run. For years I have been out of shape and my nipples are actually "innies." However, when I run they become erect and rub on the inside of my t-shirt and really hurt and become extremely sensitive after a run - to the point that the hot water in the shower is uncomfortable. So... today I went to Wal~Mart and purchased some wife-beaters a size too small to hold everything tight under my t-shirts as I run. I hope this helps.
On another note: today was the second to last stage of Le Tour de France. It was the individual time trial. This is the first year that I have watched even a second of Le Tour. I watched as a man from Australia secured his place in the record books by taking the lead from the Schleck brothers. By tradition noone attacks the leader on the final stage, it has become a ride of triumph. I wonder if anyone will even break this unwritten rule and ride for the jersey on the last stage. I wonder if it were me, could I let that chance slip past me without giving it my all? This is the question of life isn't it really? Will I let someone else's interpretation of life determine my actions? Or will I take my life into my own capable hands and make something of it? Just a few thoughts that have risen up in me. Enjoy your life and Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment