Saturday, July 9, 2011

Two in a row! - 5 weeks out from Tiger Tri


Today wasw a milestone on my quest for endurance strength. I put two of the events together in a row. I woke up this morning and cycled 11 miles at a nice leisurely pace. I completed the 11 miles in 53 minutes which seems to be my normal time right now. I got home and headed out for a 5K run. I have found that for the bike ride I can't use my Jaybird SB2 Sports Band (you can check them out here: http://www.jaybirdgear.com/sb2/ - I love them). I cant use them with my cycling helmet so I take my iPhone out of its otterbox and put it into one of those arm armbands and use the earbuds that come with iPhones/iPods. These actually don't fit all the way into my ears and allow me to be able to hear traffic and are comfortable enough. But when I run they tend to bounce out of my ear and for some reason they iPhone bouncing on my arm makes the bluetooth connection or the sound skip. So I had to turn the bluetooth on and take the thing off of my arm and put my iPhone in my pocket and put my sportaband on.
So when you includ a little hydration and making sure that my bike wasd safely on my front porch the whole transition took just under 5 minutes. Right now I am not extremely interested in my transition time I am interested in the ability to complete the events back-to-back. Somewhere about 2 miles into my run I found myself focused on the end and I realized that I was doing it and it didn't matter if I completed the 5k or I decided to walk I had already done something incredible. I went from 300+ pounds to a guy who could ride a bike for 11 miles and then run for 2 miles without stopping. Whether I stopped right there or I ran all the way home would not affect my opinion of whether or not I was successful. I am a success and no one can take that away from me.
I was actually surprised that having cycled the entire 11 miles did not affect my time on the run. I completed the 5K in about the same amount of time as I did last monday when I hadn't ridden first. I ran the 5K in just about 34 minutes. Actually the route that I run from my house is a little over 3.25 miles and I did it in 34 minutes. I expected my run to be a little slower but my pace seems to be a little over 5.5 miles/hour or 11 minute mile. Enjoy your weekend and Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment